Monday, June 28, 2010

June 27, 2010

Whippee! I discovered the joy and ease of interstate travel, after 2.5 months and more than 6,000 miles of  back road highways. I had forgotten how quick and simple an interstate is, if you really just want to peel off some hours from driving time, which I did. In this heat, I'm giving myself full permission to make any adjustments to previous mind sets if the adjustment serves my comfort and/or convenience.

I'm holed up at my cousin's 3-story victorian brick house in Centralia, IL, completing tasks and preparations for the next phase of my journey. The guest room that was prepared for me is purportedly the "most haunted" room of the house, which functioned as a mortuary at the turn of the century. I have to report that I was awakened last night (and Jubilee shot up to full attention) by a perfectly clear and cheery "hi-ee!" in a child's voice. All the windows were closed, and the air conditioner running, so I didn't think the voice came from the street below. Who knows about these things?  I just offered up my own cheerful "hello" in response and moved over on the bed, in case there was a sleepy child spirit somewhere looking for a place to rest. I slept like a baby, as usual.

My dear cousin cooked up a storm for our supper, which we ate at 2pm in the dining room at a table set with china. We fell into easy and amusing conversation which lasted until 10pm, no matter which room of the house we moved through, and there are lots of rooms.

2 comments:

  1. We were you glad you called us. What a suprise. We so loved having you here even if it was a short visit. Its funny how even being first cousins, we never got to spend time together but what we have spent has been like a life time of being togethers. Its funny how alike we all are. Litle bits sure misses her new cousin as well. She wants to take a trip like you now. I have ready all of your blogs and feel like I have made this wonderfull trip with you. Hope you do make it into a book. I will be the first in line to get it. Love you both, Laura, Reggy and littlebit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it sure was a swell visit. Just could not have been better. It does indeed feel like we've been hanging out together all our lives! I'm so thrilled you're reading my blogs! Please, Please come to Oregon next summer and stay with me. Love, hugs, and kisses to you all. Please bring Littlebit and a guitar!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo