Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 11, 2010

My first, actual DO NOTHING (pretty much) day occurred! It was stupendously satisfying. The only thing I did was drive into town (2 miles) so Hans and I could hang out at the air-conditioned library for an hour for internet connections. The day was grey, muggy, warm, and we had a perfectly executed torpor. When we returned to our non-electric campsite, we tried to stick it out, but we cracked under the barometric pressure. We antied up another $5 each and moved into a spot with electrical hookup. I ran my air conditioning for the first time and boy was that a treat! we stayed inside the RV the entire rest of the day, except for the few minutes it took to roast our hotdogs outside. We drank beer, listened to music, played Bananagrams, then Jax (in which we never made it beyond our "onesies" on my tiny table with two cupholes), then watched a very cute movie called "Deathtrap". Just a wonderful afternoon and evening.


Thunder and lightning seemed to split open the sky's grey beast belly, and we awoke this morning to pouring rain. It's coming down now like ragged sheets of waxed paper -- nearly opaque. I watched my soggy boy paddle off for his day's journey, all hunched over against the rain, trying to keep his cigarette lit. I'm pulled over at a dockside park, trying to light a fire under my enthusiasm holding tank. I don't feel substantial today. Like I could dissolve in this rain.



We hope to meet up again tonight, just south of Clinton, IL. While we're both following the same section of the river, I am delighted to provide dry lodging for a night, which is a total relief to both of us, for different reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo