Friday, June 25, 2010

June 24 and 25, 2010

A little break in the weather sure improved my lot in life! Mercury topped out at about 88 I think, and there was a steady breeze. Hans and I rode bikes through Forest Park. This is a huge city park, kinda like Golden Gate or Central Park, but less botanical. Probably about 4 or 5 square miles of rolling greens, enormous trees, fountains, ponds, lakes, art museum and the likes. It was a real treat. Jubie got to run and play and take several dips in the lake, until an unidentified creature swam by and freaked her out.


We pedaled through charming old neighborhoods of 3-story brick houses on tree-lined streets, then stopped at a famous little diner called Blueberry Hill.

We opted to leave our asphalt, treeless moorings in downtown St. Louis for a more bucolic KOA site, back over the river in Illinois. We lucked into a nice shady spot with grass, a pool, the works.

I have one little problem to report and that is: the Motherload's refrigerator up and died! I was quite upset at first, but then I figured it's no big deal, actually. I just use the fridge as an ice box, and it stays quite cool. Plus I discovered an added benefit: I am relieved of the daily preoccupation and effort of keeping the Motherload level (required to run propane for cooling). It's a little task that has always vexed me, and now it's gone! This will come in very handy when boondocking, which I plan on doing a lot of through July.

Today we made a trip to the Cahokia Mounds in Illinois, which are the remains of the largest prehistoric Indian city north of Mexico. The mounds were built for different purpose by native Americans during Europe's dark ages. We walked quite a distance in the increasing heat and blazing sun until I retreated back to the Motherload to sit beneath a shade tree and chat with a friendly local for awhile. After a rest, we headed up the stairs of the highest mound to get a panoramic view of the Mississippi Bottom Lands and the St. Louis arch rising in the distance.

Tonight is our official last night together. Hans will fly home tomorrow, being forced off the river by the recent floods. He'll return in a couple weeks to resume his journey. I will head further south, making my way through Mark Twain National Forest, then down to Maulden, MO, my grandmother's birthplace. I hope to find the old farm home she grew up in.

To honor our last evening together, we went for a swim, then fixed a fine picnic-table supper and played a couple games by candlelight, then retreated to the safety of the Motherload when the mosquitos whined their threats in our ears, and watched "The Big Lebowski" for probably the 10th time, laughing heartily.

It's been a wonderful, unexpectedly extended time with my dear boy, and I know I will miss his companionship and his helpfulness, too. AND, I feel a calling to return to my journey of solitude and introspection. I've been gone 10 weeks now! I have nothing but curiosity, excitement and wonder about what lies ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my darling Rrab! Just read the past few days of travel blog and had myself: 1) Several great laughs; 2) Feasted on the lovely pictures; 3) Derived much inspiration for ways in which to relish my daily life! Thank you so much for blogging your travels. So much are your adventures cosmically entering my life experience, so that at some point you may ask "what does this remind you of" and I'll know. ILYTAP

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo