Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18, 2010

Lord-A-Mercy! It's HOT!!!! Pretty muggy, too. I"d say about 99% humidity. Almost enough to dampen insect wings and render then flightless, but not quite. Storm clouds threatened most of the day, but never delivered a drop. I was especially glad to get a good report about the Motherload.  Hans took her in for her "check-up" and came back with the relieving news that all I need to do is add air to the shocks, which is no different than adding air to bicycle tires! After snooping around the restored Fort Madison across the river from Nauvoo, in Iowa, we drove back to Nauvoo so he could set in on the river once again to continue his journey. I stayed in Nauvoo for a couple hours to ride my bike around the old town again while the breeze kicked in and dried my persperation to a nice, salty coating, which the mosquitos apparently enjoyed quite nicely.

I made my way leisurely south, crossing the border into Missouri! I found our pre-arranged meeting spot easily.  It's a tiny town of 166, and includes an old gas station, a few houses, and an old tavern called the Purple Cow, right on the river, with a deck beneath ancient cottonwoods, and great 70's music. I sat out there enjoying an ice cold beer, awaiting Hans' arrival. There were a couple of friendly locals for conversation, and the merriment and simple pleasure of the whole thing was more intoxicating than the beer. We enjoyed a fine dinner of...I'm embarrassed to say: burgers and fries. I know, I've got to stop this. Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Reading every 2 or 3 days with such pleasure. Just love your blog and photos. What an amazing thought ;to have a day to celebrate Foxy's birthday. Of course Foxy, Logan and Cozmo get celebrated every day with their walks around Bald Hill, but I am often like Nazi walker "hurry up, don't dawdle,etc." Yesterday I saw a huge snake lying in the sun near the barn and last night Tim and I mused about how lucky we were to live here. That's quite a turnaround for two people who spent 15 years feeling desperate to leave. I notice so many things when I look at your photos;the last was your lovely flowers which are anchored on your table. You write wonderfully and sometimes like a old time cowgirl "Lordy be"..or such expressions. Its become a rich part of my week to read your news and I send you lots of love.Linda

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo