Wednesday, June 9, 2010


I only made it half way through the night before a dream (which I thought was REAL) freaked me out and caused me to abandon my place by the little boat ramp. I drove south for about 15 minutes, then pulled into the post office parking lot (which consisted of two parking places) of the nearest town, population, 106. There was a warm beacon of streetlight shining down on the Motherload, and I found it a comfort, though it also spotlighted my illegal overnight parking.

In Prairie Du Chien, WI, I visited an historic estate (Villa Louis)--a beautifully restored Victorian Mansion and several other historic buildings on pastoral grounds. I lucked into a private tour of the place, as I arrived ahead of a bus full of school kids. Afterwards, I was invited to walk Jubilee all around the estate and picnic if I chose, which I did! It was LOVELY and so serene.  Weather=perfect! I spoke with a friendly fellow in charge of park maintenance and we exchanged anecdotes about our middle-aged lives. He was very interested in my son Hans’ kayaking adventure along the river and flabbergasted about my own solo journey.

Later in the afternoon, I made my way across the river to a most charming town, McGregor, Iowa, where Hans and I had agreed to attempt another meeting. McGregor is probably the most charming little town of all the quaint villages I’ve driven through thus far. The ever-present BNSF Railroad, which hugs the river like a lover, allows the train to creep slowly into town along a gentle curve that borders the public marina, with all its brightly painted boats, shops, and eateries. The town was founded in 1837 by Mr. McGregor who established a ferry service and put McGregor on the map. His original log home sits across from the marina. The entire town is lovingly restored and lived in and authentically retains its 1860-ish flavor, except for the cars, of course, and a few other modern disturbances. As Hans pulled into the harbor to dock, I was waiting for him, and who should I see but my friendly park maintenance man and his wife, waiving wildly at me. They’d crossed the river for his birthday dinner! It was a fun coincidence, and I was especially proud to introduce my son—famous mountain man explorer and river kayaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo