Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 15, 2010


Mississippi Mud is a real thing! And I can easily see why it is the inspiration for countless fudgey confections. Yesterday, I pulled into an obscure campground on Blanchard's Island, IL, to await Hans' arrival. It is a lovely spot with about 20 primitive campsite under huge shade trees, right along a slow section of the river. I pulled into a perfect little grassy spot. Never mind that the entire region (including me and Jubilee) had been drenched in a horrendous downpour earlier! The sun was out, the breeze uplifting. Until I sunk the Motherload in about 6 inches of sticky, gooey, greasy, sucky Mississippi Mud! Terra Infirma! I spun all 6 wheels to no avail. I tried my yellow leveling blocks. No good. I miraculously found two large pieces of plywood sitting by the river and hauled them into place behind the back tires. No good.

Out of nowhere, a gentleman arrived in a truck with a hitch and chain, and he mercifully pulled the Motherload free. I was still standing with my mouth open, like a venus flytrap, barely able to mutter my thanks, when he hopped back in his truck and drove away! Where did he come from? I'm out in the middle of nowhere!

Jubilee had spent her time playing down by the river's edge where it was pooled up and still. She was coated in black mud up to her ears and full of glee. I scooped her up, coating myself in the process, then tried to wash her clean at the camp spigot. I tried washing off the yellow leveling blocks, too. But the mud was difficult to coax free. Thick fudgey chunks fell at my feet and piled up like cow plops. I did what any sane adult would do: I made a mud pie, glancing furtively to see if anyone was around to witness a middle-aged woman playing with mud and what appeared to be huge Lego blocks. The activity did not measure up to my childhood memories, but I'm glad I gave it a try. Perhaps if I'd had some dry sand or dirt for the "sugar" sprinkling...

So, the Motherload is a bit stinky. Too many wet days and soggy clothes, VERY humid shoes. But still a wonderful haven and by now, a tried and true friend.

I climbed into bed as the sun went down, in shades of grey-green, gold and amber, the music of frogs and night creatures lulling me to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Supermud! Wow thank goodness for that dude with the hitch. Meant to be... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,

    I've been following your journey since you left Grants Pass. What a way to see our beautiful country! Your photos are great. Can't wait to see the paintings.

    Much love,
    Cuz Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure you are having, Janie!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo