Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 12, 13, 2010

I can't get over my good fortune! This is the honest truth: for every day that I struggle with something, an equal and opposite day of extraordinary gifts occurs immediately afterward! Yesterday (Sat.) I poked around the Great River Road until I found the obscure little campground that Mr. McKayak and I had selected as our meeting place. Not only was it a gorgeous and easy-as-pie drive, but I lucked into the best (and only) spot left. It's on a grassy little protrusion with a wide-open view of the river. And next to me, but slightly set back are two wonderful groups of folks, friendly and helpful in every way. We all met and shared our stories and a bit of good cheer and soon everyone knew to look north for my son's approach. And when he pulled into view, everybody shouted, "Your son is here! He's here!" There was a great stirring in our little neck of the woods. Hans was able to paddle right into the camping spot, walk 20 feet and consider himself "home."

We cooked a fine dinner and ate outside as the sun became heavy and sunk behind the clouds. It was a glorious, long display of a sunset, too.

This morning (Sun) Hans paddled off toward the quad-cities, and Jubilee and I took off on my bike for a terrific ride along the bike path that stretches for about 100 miles. Just gorgeous. Plus mostly flat. Winding through old hamlets and parkways along the river.  Lots of folks out walking, riding, jogging on this lovely Sunday morning. I never gave a thought to rain.

WHOOPS! I can now say I've proven myself a bonafide moron! I left the Motherload without a care, all windows and ceiling vents open, rain gear laying out on the picnic table to "dry". After a couple hours, the sky turned to lead and the thunder nearly rattled the meat off my bones. Then SPLUGE!!!! Great downpours and wind. I was wearing a tank top and shorts. Jubie, of course, was in her summer coat. I peddled home as quickly as I could, but as I had about 10 miles to cover, we got drenched, thoroughly. Wet is not a good look for Jubilee, nor a good auroma. It's even worse for me. Everything was wet inside the Motherload. Even my computer!

I'll never take another sunny day for granted.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad your computer did not suffer any permanent damage! Glad you are well. Wisdom teeth came out on Friday but things are going okay, knock on wood. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pictured your teeth just coming out--not like as in debutante, but as in on their own volition. Was it an ordeal or fairly easy? I'm so glad to hear from you! Still not dry here. so humid there's no evaporation. it's great, though. just great!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo