Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 26, 2010


Wheee-Haw! I’m in Deadwood, SD, and it’s ALIVE! What a spectacular Old West town. And what a gorgeous day. Local, legalized gambling proceeds have been used to restore the town’s historic buildings to their original splendor. The streets are paved not with gold, but old brick, which is quite charming. And no parking is allowed on Main Street, the most scenic artery of any old town I’ve ever seen, except maybe for Harper’s Ferry. The town was set in a pretty canyon along the Deadwood River and grew rapidly with the discovery of gold back in early 1870s. A historical marker shows the exact spot where Wild Bill Hickock was shot dead and where his killer was captured. Tomorrow I’ll take a walking tour and learn some more fascinating details to rev up my imagination.

Today I found the Mickelson Trail, which is purported to be one of the top 5 Rails-to-Trails in the US! I believe it. It runs about 100 easy miles between Edgemont and Deadwood, following the old abandoned railroad, of course. Some portions of the original rail are still visible in many places, as are the worn-out, bone-dry ties. I’m very drawn to this period of history, and I sense the reality of it. It’s like the history is still alive, and I’m merely a living hologram walking through it.

Anyone out there know what poison ivy looks like?

3 comments:

  1. Nope, but I can help you there!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy

    http://mri.usd.edu/watertrail/FieldGuide/images/Other%20Plants/poison-ivy.jpg

    http://www.cloudforestvoices.com/CFVimages/Poison-Ivy-4-web.jpg

    I hope you have a snake bite kit....

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie - I love this picture of Jubee...she's like the travelling gnome who gets his picture snapped all over the world. Still want to see a painting!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I want to see a painting, too. This is the first significant painter's block I've ever experienced!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo