Friday, May 21, 2010

May 21, 2010


Ahhhhhh! What a splendid day. Not to start, though. I awoke looking like an old whiskey-drinking hag: tired, wrinkled, haggard, and unprepared for the rigors of a day on the road. It seemed every little task before me was mated to its enemy: lethargy. Every hair on my head moved in one direction: into my eyes. My baggy pants drooped and twisted around my legs, hindering every step. What a fashion plate! I looked in the mirror and thought, “Crumpled waxed paper has more appeal.”  This was the most offsetting morning in six weeks!

I looked over at my precious little Jubilee, folded around a heavenly cloud of dirty clothes. She looked up and gave me short, expectant wags of her tail (doggie for “YEAH!”), as if I was the good news she was waking for. It caught me in my tracks. I thought about the energy of my petulance and angst being transferred to her, instead of the energy of good news. In that instant I cleaned up my act!

The day cleaned up right nicely, too. I drove a total of 19 miles, backtracking to the State Park I meant to stay at yesterday. I’ve got a swell campsite by the river, grassy fields for Jubie and I to play in, gorgeous arena of guilded rock formations to bounce and absorb light, and a sky that continually smears, blurs, and runs its vibrant colors together like a living watercolor. I got my canopy up without a snag, cooked a fine dinner over the campfire, met all my camping neighbors and their dogs, and now I’m ready for beddie!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, take heart my thithie, fashion challenges beset even the most experienced of Road Trip Mavens. Perhaps you may recall the stories of "horror de couture" recounted by Mary when she returned from her USA Adventure. Every day she witnessed her mother's sadistic daily practice of donning the same hawiian floral mumu, accessorized with black leather fanny pack perched safely upon her rounded belly and shod with prim white crew socks and jogging shoes, the whole outfit smartly set off by a navy blue baseball cap under which a shock of unruly hair was kept at bay. (Out sight - out of mind). I'm afraid this experience has caused permanent damage to Mary and her mother's shopping relationship. The trust is just gone. At least little Jubilee just sees your sweet spirit and can sincerely, wholeheartedly behold your real beauty. I think we humans would do well to do likewise. Your photo shows a whole different person than the wax paper gal. So lovely and soft, both of you! ILYTAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Debeedle! I LOVE your comment! Reminds me of Ol' Dad.

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo