Sunday, May 23, 2010

May 23, 2010


Whoa Lil’ Doggie! I can’t even get over this wonderful day! I learned something very useful: leave camp early and don’t drive so darn far. I drove only 60 miles today, arriving at my new camp spot in Buffalo, Wy. by 1pm, rather than the usual 5pm or so. That gave me the rest of the day to explore, untired, for a change. I’m embarrassed what a slow learner I seem to be. I was privileged to see actual REAL cowboys in action this morning, running cattle from one pasture to another, through the main street of Ten Sleep. They don’t use horses anymore. They sit astride four-wheelers and whistle commands to their border collies instead. It was fascinating.


In Buffalo I found a beautiful bike/walking trail, quite serendipitously, as usual. Jubilee and I walked along in perfect bliss for a couple miles, then I plopped her in the basket and road like a 10-year-old along the sparkling black and green Big Horn River. I whooped out loud like either a cowboy or Indian, marveling at my splendid luck and awe of the beauty around me. Tomorrow I’ll explore “downtown” Buffalo, which consists of a two-lane, two-block road of historical buildings, including the Occidental Hotel, quite famous for lodging Butch and Sundance, and Calamity Jane. And also for being quite beautiful and a wonderful place to rest weary bones in a day when folks never heard of rest. 
While I was cooking dinner, a rainstorm blew in. So now I’m getting ready for some popcorn and hot chocolate and a fine movie, while listening to the tapping on my rooftop.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Auntie Jane, those are great pictures! I got your email and I'm writing back to that too but I wanted to tell you that you should set your blog settings to allow you to "moderate" your comments. That way, you'll be notified when someone posts on one of your entries. I think your confusion about my identity would have been avoided had you read my comment on your Sedona entry first... :-) Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't believe your whole wide world! Unbelievable photos Rrab!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo