Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May 10, 2010


Oh sweet Mother of God, I have been redeemed! Today was possibly the BEST day of 30, rivaled only by the day at Disneyland! Jubilee and I made a leisurely departure from the comfort of our motel room, walking down the street to purchase a breakfast to go, which we ate in a sunny picnic area, my hands curled around the warm to-go cup.

Our whole day was taken at a leisurely pace. Therefore (I think),  I was graced with the serendipitous discovery of a marvelous bike path along the Sevier River. The scenery today along Highway 89 was refreshingly verdant, with new leaves marking the late arrival of spring. Highway 89 follows the river and its companion willow groves, and every now and then I’d get a glimpse of what looked to be an abandoned road, running parallel. I just happened to glance over at a break in the groves, revealing a perfect bike path, about 4 or 5 feet wide. It runs for probably 30 miles as a smaller twin to Hwy 89. I pulled over and loaded up for the ride, my exuberance making a clutz of me, like kid at the entrance to Disneyland (and I should know!). I knocked over my water bottle, and next my bike.

In a moment of maturity, I thought it best to give Jubilee some exercise first, so we walked together for about 2 miles, while she nosed around for ground squirrels. Then I placed her in her "caboose" and we rode in sweet, joyful, splendor.  That is until Jubilee became so fretful about all her missed squirrel opportunities that I feared she would leap out of her basket and break apart on impact! I felt I had no reasonable choice but to put her back on the ground and walk along with her. Oh, this kind of maturity aches! This is the first time in 3 years that I ever resented her. And I’m ashamed to admit it—she was only obeying what’s encoded in her DNA. However, it may play out that the necessary shortening of this gorgeous, perfect ride could be a lasting regret.

Oh well! I got over it. It was marvelous entertainment for about 2 hours, and we had a most wondrous day anyway. I found a terrific spot to camp at Palisades State Park, which is situated on a pristine lake rimmed by stately, just-budding willows. I BBQ’d a big, fat steak—something I haven’t had in half a year. It’s been 3 hours of digestion now, and I’m still fondly reminiscing. We walked around the entire campground at the magic hour when the sun ignites everything it touches with gold.

Thus ended a rather perfect day! I may decide to stay another!

2 comments:

  1. OMG, that photo of the tree over the lake...another gorgeous painting. Are you painting, Janie?

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, in my head! I certainly PLAN to paint those trees!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo