Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 7, 2010

Leaving the farm was bittersweet. Mary and Gordon treated me like I was family, from royal heritage. I will always be grateful to them. After 5 days on the farm, I felt ready to continue my journey, and was excited and confident driving down the country lane, waving goodbye, Jubilee perched in the co-pilot seat, ears flapping like little flags.

We made it to the southern shore of Lake Michigan, to play at  Indiana Dunes State Park. I could not believe the size of Lake Michigan! It expanded into the horizon and disappeared at a blurry edge, just like the ocean. Oh, how I plunged recklessly into the cool and shimmering blueness, quenching every cell of my being! Even Jubilee joined me. She frollicked like an otter; I lolled about like a manatee.

After 2 hours of water frolic, we walked through the scorching sand back to the Motherload, which was parked in the shade and welcoming our return.  I grilled hot dogs and munched on crisp, cold salad, the whole time propping my drowsy head on my hand to keep it above my salad. I ate/dreamed of aqua waters and idly allowed to wash through me the commingled sounds of the water's rhythmic lapping, the seagulls' playful squeals, and the happy shrieks of little hot kids running and splashing.

A lovely peace set in. And with it an undefined expansiveness, which is still with me, and still holding me in a sort of rapture-"lite."

I drove another 90 miles or so to Chicago, negotiating the interstate freeways during rush hour and a tremendous rain storm. Still the rapture remained. My dear friend Marcia, who used to live next door in Corvallis, picked me up from the Walmart parking lot near her neighborhood, which is entirely comprised of old brick houses and giant-tree-canopied streets. And air-conditioned!

I am so humbled by the opportunity to make this journey and to say YES to its many unplanned expeditions into interior and exterior realms.  I am so grateful to be led I know not where. And I'm so grateful for the fine folks who have helped me along the way, providing shelter, comfort, companionship.

If this whole journey is about nothing more than finding RAPTURE-LITE, it's more than I would have asked for. And I promise I'll try to bring some home with me!

2 comments:

  1. Was glad to see this post. We were getting worried about you. I know what you mean about the lake. Its one of the things I miss about Michigan.Nick said he'd be up north till the end of July 1st week of August if you get up that way. Or if after that you still head to Michigan and need a place to park awhile he'd love to see you. He lives in Howell on a big country home with lots of land. Laura, Reggy & littlebit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura! I'm doing great and loving, LOVING my journey. I'll call Nick. I hope I can make it up that far north before I leave for home for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo