Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26, 2010

Today I feel like I went from paradise to hell, landscape-wise. I started out in a beautiful, lush canyon in Wallace, ID. Jubilee and I hiked a rugged 4-mile trail to the entrance of an old mine, which was used as a life-saving haven to a group of trapped firefighters back in 1910, when forest fires were spreading all across the West. The trail followed a shimmering, crystal-clear creek, and we took many breaks to splash about. On the way back, I found a wonderful pool, about 3 feet deep. Since it is so close to my birthday, I splashed in, wearing a commemorative garment--birthday suit. It was divinely cold and left me hootin' and gaspin'.

It was so lovely back in that canyon. As we were the only ones around, I could hear the sounds of the woods without interruption. I was enchanted with the appearance of four kinds of butterflies, which I was able to identify as Monarchs, yellow ones, blue ones, and white ones. We picnicked at the end of the trail, under a shady canopy of conifers, just across from the mine entrance, which was inaccessible. (I wouldn't have tried, anyway.)

Then back on the road again. I chose a route through Washington because it seemed to promise the shortest way home. I regret the choice, though. The landscape is abysmal. So parched, barren, wasted and forlorn, it makes me want to cry, which I would gladly do if I hadn't sweat out all my body's liquid. Driving through this God-forsaken land is about as pleasurable as having a dry bowel movement, and is taking about as long. The barren land stretches out as far as my crusty eyes can see, the sky overhead is the color of old concrete, the telephone wires are like cracks in the sky. It's about 100 degrees. This landscape actually taps into my fear at the survival level. I was plagued by morbid accidental fantasies about breaking down out there.

I did make it to an RV camp, which offered a few shady trees, elec. and water hookups, and a friendly owner who loaned me his table BBQ'er so I could finally grill the chicken I've had marinating for 3 days. I plan to rise very early tomorrow to log some miles before the day heats up!

2 comments:

  1. Was it the long ashy black desert Craters of the Moon part of Idaho???? That is so hard to deal with. I remember when we were there - the drive from that through Nevada to the Sierras felt like months instead of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, just Washington. I drove through the Panhandle of Idaho, and it was BEAUTIFUL! Washington got a lot nicer the next day--read on!

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo