Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 18, 2010


This morning, I opened my eyes and the windows and let the angst of yesterday float out and away into the clear, blue sky. In its place, peace claimed me. Or I claimed it. We made a good driving partners today, and I've invited it to stay!

I drove 250 miles today. I feel light of heart since making my decision to return home.  I realized when I awoke this morning that returning home does not necessarily mean terminating my journey. It might mean taking a break for awhile, then continuing on. Perhaps doing shorter segments at a time. Who knows? Here is ONE thing I know: There are actually some things that are OK not to know. 

I'm camped at a spot near Washburn, Wisconsin, on Lake Superior, about 60 miles or so from Minnesota. It is just beautiful here, and has been gorgeous all day, as I inhaled great gulps of fresh air through the open windows, reveling in the ecstatically green hardwood forests. I was told that Lake Superior is the only lake in the U.S. that creates it own weather. If so, I'd say it's doing a great job. It's about 75 and slightly breezy, with huge, pantaloon-style clouds billowing out in all directions. 

My camp neighbors were so kind as to make room for me at their campfire so I could roast my hot dogs and corn. I'd been savoring the idea of campfire weenies all day, but was so tired when I pulled into camp I didn't relish the idea of making a fire. The bakery buns I'd purchased earlier cushioned those dogs like downy pillows and made each chomp a mighty satisfying campaign against hunger.

Tomorrow I will rise early to enjoy a brisk walk along the lake before embarking again on an unknown road through an unfamiliar land. I can't wait to see what unfolds!



1 comment:

  1. Janie, so glad you are feeling great about a great decision. When I read that you are in Washburn, my heart jumped. My Dad grew up there. Please see my e-mail of this evening requesting some pictures of their former home, if convenient and easy for you to do!! Love and thanks from Marcia.

    ReplyDelete

El Granada Depot

El Granada Depot

Blue Romeo

Blue Romeo